The best longboard bearings are out there waiting to get under your feet and give you that perfect ride every single time. Not all of them are made the same, but they all have one goal, and that is to provide you with satisfaction in your riding experience. Are you looking for the fastest longboard bearing? Getting the right information is critical to making your final choices. If you’re not much of a speed devil, then you could be in the market for the best longboard bearing for cruising. We’ll cover them all here as we compare 5 of the best longboard bearings on Amazon head to head. We’ll point out the pros and cons of each performance bearings and which one matches a rider’s demand. Though you may not agree with our winner, it pays to be informed.
Top 10 Longboard Bearings Found on Amazon
The best longboard bearings for cruising and speed are quality built and a bit pricey but not that much as to break the bank. When you are looking for high performance bearings you should be careful and be thoughtful of it.
First, we look at the type of materials these bearings are made of and there are two variants to choose from, steel and ceramic with each material having different properties and serving different purposes.
A bearing’s primary function is to lessen the friction between the axle and wheels and steel bearing excel at this category and make the wheels run smoothly. There are 7 or 8 balls in steel bearings (9 for ceramic) which help distribute the weight of the load. These balls are lubricated with grease and are shielded from dust. This set up works fine for skateboards. Steel bearings are still popular due to its durability and economic reasons. Regular cleaning and lubrication will help prolong the life of your steel bearings.
Longboard ceramic bearings are made from a compound called silicon nitride. They are harder and smoother compared to steel. These hardly require lubrication and are not affected by heat, thereby maintaining your skate’s optimum performance. So it is suitable to dive down the hill without worrying about the heat it produces, quite useful if i may say. Get only the best longboard bearings for speed and durability.
Longboard Bearing Size
- Standard 608: In the skating scene, the 608 bearing has been the standard. It has a 22mm outer diameter, 7mm thick and an 8mm bore where the axle sits. Most of the skating wheels, if not all, will be compatible with the 608 bearing making it quite versatile and useful for all wheels. The standardized size has helped in keeping the cost of the bearings down.
- Non-Standard: These are very rare and may virtually be non – existent. But you may still come across these types that are different from the 608. Additionally, there are smaller ones that are available that has the exact axle size but would need an extra sleeve to match the 608 outside diameter. If a bearing is given a high ABEC rating, it means it has more precise tolerances than those with lower scores.
- ABEC Rating: ABEC stands for Annular Bearing Engineering Committee, which is a division of the American Bearing Manufacturers Association. They developed a rating system that measures the variations from exact measurement in precision bearings. This has become the standard in the bearing industry, A high ABEC rating pushes the price up but sometimes ABEC ratings can be misleading because they are meant to evaluate bearings that are used in machinery but not on skates. Forces that are exerted on skates are very different from industrial machinery. Still, manufacturers put in ABEC ratings. Experienced skaters know well that these ratings may not be as relevant.
1. Bones Bearings Reds Bearings:
This is hands down the best-selling skate bearing in the USA. The removable rubber shield makes it easy to clean and protects the ball bearings from the elements. This product comes pre-lubed with Speed Racing Cream from the same makers. It’s a very noticeable difference once you install these in your skates. The quality of ride improved tenfold. Prepare yourself for that ultra-smooth ride. A simple cautious run around the block is enough to adjust yourself.
- BIG BALLS, the newest member of our REDS family. BIG BALLS are engineered to roll faster and last longer by using 6, 17% larger balls, like our legendary Bones Super Swiss 6 bearings.
- These larger balls let you roll faster, and keep rolling right through dirt that slows smaller balls down.
- Includes: Set of 8 bearings, instructions, and sticker.
- Higher top speed, greater strength, longer life, easy cleaning, and light weight.
- Skate Rated design.
2. Rainy Guy Professional Skateboard Bearings:
This Rainy Guy Professional Skateboard Bearing is the non-contact, removable rubber shield. Thanks to this great function, the bear is protected against dirt. Therefore, it makes it very easy to clean, and less friction brings the high speed for the riders to achieve the best experience. Moreover, this Premium ABEC9 bearing fits every board with high-grade steel which has anti-corrosion treatment for long lasting and has the longest spin at 4mins 20secs in a lab test; It brings the smoothest riding. All of those great factors are contained in Rainy Guy Bearings which is built for high quality at low prices.
3. Yellow Jacket 608 Premium Bearings:
If you’re looking for a low end priced, quality bearing, the Yellow Jacket is what you need. Easily adds 10 to 15 mph to your current down to the hill speed with ease. It is pre-lubed with high-speed cream with the Bones Reds pale in comparison when tested head to head on the same path, both look brand new with similar results. It is designed for high speeds out of the box and has the highest precision rating in the market. The yellow seal is professionally engraved and perfect for protecting against dirt. The Yellow Jacket is equipped with an easy to remove seal for maintenance. This is a wild card in the skating industry. Given a few more years in manufacturing, the yellow jacket may overrun its closest competitors in no time.
4. Bones Bearings Super Reds Bearings:
Impressive performance that allows your wheels to turn longer when you test-spin them by hand. This is a real test that lets you confirm how easy your wheels turn. If it takes longer to stop, that is a good sign. These may be a bit fast for beginners, so purchase with caution. Professional riders are all thumbs up with this one. So how are they different from the Bone Bearings Reds? These are Precision-grade Swiss designs that boast 25 years in manufacturing history and are skate rated which guarantees better performance than any ABEC rated bearings.
5. Zealous Bearings for Longboards and Skateboards:
Much like its counterparts, the Zealous bearings come with rubber seals that give you ease of access during maintenance and protection against the elements. The secret in their quality is in the lubricant they fill it with. The lubricant used contains nano-ceramic compounds that fill in deformations on the bearings. Now, when you use it on your skates, heat builds up, and the nano-ceramic hardens on the specific areas of imperfection. As you continue to use these bearings, the more perfect, it becomes since friction is almost eliminated. This also makes it nearly corrosion resistant. This bearing set also takes out the need for spacers as it is equipped with 409 spacers. It also survives the harshest skating conditions in sandy and dusty environments.
6. Bones Bearings Ceramic Super Reds:
The Bones Ceramic Reds Bearings is the most expensive one in the list of bearings here but it is definitely worth the money spent and the quality is top notch.So that only leaves us with one question, and that is, are they worth it? This ceramic longboard bearing is the one to beat. Of course, higher performance goes hand in hand with a higher price. It is the lighter, stronger, will not corrode and lasts way longer than its steel counterparts. Because it’s pre-lubricated with speed cream, the title of fastest longboard bearings should be awarded to this set. With its high-end features, you’ll run with confidence and push your limits to the max. These ceramic bearings are a dream as it may be the only ceramic longboard bearing you will need. Beginner and intermediate skaters should take extra caution, though. This gives different feedback from your regular steel bearings. It has an almost frictionless feel. The only con we can come up with is its price.
- Unique bearing design with six larger balls of for increased speed, faster acceleration, and greater strength
- Single, non-contact, removable rubber shield for easy cleaning and less friction; pre-lubricated with Speed Cream
- High speed nylon ball retainer for greater strength and speed
- Skate Rated clearances, tolerances, materials
- Lifetime warranty against manufacturing defects
Top-Rated Longboard Bearings Currently in Amazon:
This is the only lube you’ll ever need for your bearings whatever make they may be. This doesn’t work like magic though and you still have to clean your bearings thoroughly before applying them so that it can be cleaned properly. That is the only time you will feel the effects. Once you’ve used them, the feel of a brand new bearing is quite evident. Being a light type of cream, it doesn’t last long as lithium grease, you have to re-apply them at regular intervals so that it will bring more effectiveness to the cream. The trade-off, however, is the difference in speed. This Bones Speed Cream is designed for those speed devils who are conscious in maintaining their rides. A bottle lasts a long time since you only need a few drops on each bearing.
Among all these bearings on Amazon, the Zealous Bearings for Longboards and Skateboards stands out from the rest. Factors include, price range, which is dead center middle ground, easy maintenance, and the brilliant nano-ceramic pre-lubrication that enhances the perfection of the bearings as you use it. It won’t even need some cleaning and lubrication. This is the only steel bearing that could rival ceramic bearings. The built-in spacer works like a charm. No need for separate spacers. The Zealous is the best longboard bearings for cruising. Get your own set today.