Why should you buy the best skateboard helmet?
First and foremost, the helmet protects your head and face in the event of crashes or falls. We know that almost all of us want to learn advanced boarding techniques. Hence, we probably fall many times before mastering all the skills. At that time, the helmet is an essential protective gear.
Secondly, the helmets keep the direct sunlight or rains away. Some skateboard helmets even feature flippy screen to protect your face from dust and flying objects. This is helpful if you enjoy skateboarding downhill.
Whatever the reason is, check these 7 best skateboard helmets!
Top 7 Skateboard Helmet Recommendations
- Pro-Tec Classic Certified Skate Helmet
- Triple Eight Helmet with Sweatsaver Liner
- Punisher Skateboard Helmet Pro
- Triple Eight Certified Skateboard Helmet
- Triple 8 Downhill Racer Helmet
- TSG Pass Helmet
- JBM Adult Skateboard Helmet
1. Pro-Tec Classic Certified Skateboard Helmet:
Pro-tec Classic falls under the classification of the best action helmets available these days. It is the oldest and the safest skateboard helmet and has served skating professionals for more than 40 years using the latest technology in making the most protective helmets.
- It has a high-density injection molded PE shell and 2 stage thick inner foam liner. These features make it a very comfortable and impact resistant.
- A plush wrap helps in absorbing the dripping sweat of the wearer and the 11 large vents ensure passage of air inside the helmet keeping the wearer’s head fresh and comfortable. These helmets are available in 14 colors.
2. Triple Eight Skateboard Helmet:
One of the main reasons why it is considered among the best multi-impact helmets is because of its unique design and exceptional quality. Triple Eight is a company that manufactures skateboarding and longboarding kits. This helmet has an ABS outer shell with the most famous sweat saver liner to ensure comfort.
- The design of the helmet is unique as it is a side cut helmet and also has customized Triple Eight logo rivets. Triple Eight helmets have a peculiar design. It consists of a sweat saver liner which helps in removing the smell of sweat and minimize the reproduction of any bacteria as it has undergone an antibacterial treatment.
- It has a 360-degree wrap around design which ensures that the liner will not separate in the helmet’s interior. This is available in red and black. Sweat saver liner replacements are also available in the market.
3. Punisher Skateboard Helmet Pro:
Another helmet on this list is the Punisher skateboard helmet. It is a dual safety helmet certified as a BMX and skateboarding helmet. These helmets are certified with CPSC and ASTM standards which mean that they pass through the strict safety rules for a skateboard helmet as well as a BMX helmet.
- The other helmet brands are not as safe as the Punisher as they are only certified skateboard helmets and merely pass one standard and did not pass the other category.
- The Punisher has thick interior EPS foam for better safety and comfort of the wearer. It has 13 vents to maintain a good airflow and coolness while you wear the helmet. This unique shell design makes the Punisher different from the other helmet brands as it keeps the wearer cool whether riding a BMX or while skateboarding.
- It is an adjustable helmet with three heat-sealed removable foam pads to fit any size.
The unique design makes it wearable for the young generation as well as adults. Moreover, it is a unisex helmet. It is available in seven colors including metallic and neon hues. It also has soft, heavy-duty nylon chin straps.
4. Triple Eight Certified Skater Helmet:
Another option is the Triple Eight Brain Saver Dual-certified helmet. This helmet is suitable for biking, skateboarding, inline skating, roller skating, longboarding, etc. This helmet consists of an EPS liner and is dual-certified with CE EN 1078 (for pedal cyclists, skateboarders, and roller skaters) and AS/NZS 206 (for bicyclists).
- It has also a polystyrene liner for head protection and comfort, and the ventilation holes make it easy for the person to breathe and to ensure proper airflow. This helmet promises to keep you safe while you enjoy your favorite sports activities whether it is roller skating, biking, skateboarding or longboarding.
- The Triple Eight Certified Brain Saver helmet will ensure your safety. The manufacturers say it is a splendid combination of style, fit and comfort.
- It is available in 11 colors in the market.
5. Triple 8 Downhill Racer Helmet:
Do you want to buy a longboard helmet that does not only provides full face protection but also covers the chin and the head? The Triple 8 Downhill Racer Helmet provides excellent protection as well as comfort for your exciting longboard adventures.
Its EPS foam liner with velvet lining and an extra fit pad insert makes it one hell of a comfortable helmet for longboard rides. Moreover, the easy to change visors, plenty of room for stickers, lightweight and high visibility are some of the features that make it the best choice, especially for your downhill rides which falling and head injury are risks.
6. TSG Pass Helmet:
As a strong but light longboard helmet, the TSG Pass Helmet comes with all the promised features of a great product: custom fit cheek pads, aerodynamic design, International Downhill Federation Certified Safe.
EPS foam liners for action sports, bonus visors, and maximum visibility are some of the truly loved and cherished features of longboard helmets, and this particular product has it all at a very reasonable cost.
If you are going to buy this product, then get ready for incredible protection with an amazing comfort experience!
7. JBM Adult Skateboard Helmet:
JBM is a great choice when buying the best skateboard helmets. This adult skateboard helmet has proper ventilation as it contains multiple air vents with a special aerodynamic design and breathable foam. This helmet has got all the desired features that a person could ask for.
- These are considered the “cool” helmets for skateboarding or longboarding. Moreover, it is an impact resistant helmet with a tough shell and soft liner which can quickly absorb any impact or external harm caused during skating activities.
- It is available in the market in seven different colors with a one-year warranty. JBM adult skateboard helmets are multi-sports skating helmets.
- It is equipped with adjustable straps which are lightweight and of excellent quality. Adjustable straps ensure a perfect fit which leads to the great comfort of the wearer. JBM has a vast variety of products for skateboarding and longboarding.
Helmets for Different Age Groups
Helmets for every age should be chosen carefully. We all want our helmets to serve its purpose while showing details of our personality or designs that we like. So, what are the helmets that can cater these needs for each age bracket? Let’s take a look.
Skateboard Helmets for 3-5 Years Old
Pro-Tec has only one helmet model for kids. It is the JR Classic Certified. You will have four choices as it has four colors. They are gloss purple, gloss white, matte black and matte blue. To give your kid a custom fit, the helmet has a twist fit system that gives you dual-direction on the adjustment. They also put a magnetic Fid-Lock buckle that fits your kid’s little finger. Jr Classic Certified is available in 4 sizes with head circumferences 47cm-54cm.
Triple 8 offers six choices for 3-5 years old helmet for kids. They did not specify which size best fit with your kids but according to their guideline of finding the sizes, the XS/S will fit a 48cm – 54cm head circumferences which are the standard measurement for a kid’s head circumference of 3-5 years old. They are the Dual Certified, Gotham, Sweatsaver, Standard, Mike Valleyly, Little Tricky and Lil 8. All of them are made of ABS on the Outer Shell with EPS liner. They also include Sweatsaver Fit Pads to give you additional comfort. They are all dual certified with CPSC and ASTM. Two of the model which is Dual Certified and Gotham has a version with MIPS technology in it. With MIPS, it gives you assurance to reduce risk and injury.
KaZam released a KaZam Kids Multi-Sport Helmet which is also good for skateboarding. It is very functional, comfortable and stylish. KaZam is available in six different solid colors: cherry red, blue, light blue, yellow, green and electric purple. It is made of ABS Shell with vents that give your little kids ample airflow. It had met the US Toy Standards for Children Product Safety and CPSC. This helmet is not just for your kid’s skateboarding but for all outdoor activities. Sizes for 3-5 years old is XS with a head circumference of 48cm-52cm.
Under the category “Baby Nutty”, there are almost 9-10 helmets available. These helmets showcase colorful designs that will attract your baby’s eyes. They’ll love wearing these helmets even not during a ride. Besides the eye-catchy design, Nutcase ensures the safety for passing a certification. One of their model which is the “Head in Clouds” comes with MIPS technology which is a great choice for great safety. The baby nutty helmets are made of PC Shell and EPS Foam. They have additional pads included in the package. You will need it in case of adjustment and fitting. All Baby Nutty Helmets measures 47cm – 50cm.
Harsh Protective Gear designed its classic helmet the Harsh HX1 Multi-Sport Helmet which is very fine for skateboarding as it passed the 3 certifications namely CE, CPSC, and ASTM. Though the design is only solid colors, it is the reason why it maintains a low profile among the helmet brands. But it is very lightweight with optimized airflow vents and it has an EPS Foam Liner on its ABS Outer Shell. And another good thing on this helmet is that they have a very small size which will fit your kids. It is the XS with a head circumference measurement of 48cm-50cm.
Skateboard Helmets for 6-10 Years Old
The smallest size of TSG helmet for kids is XXS/XS with a head circumference of 52cm-53cm. It will fit kids between 6-10 years old. For kids, TSG has four categories of helmets. They are the Meta Solid Color, Nipper Maxi, Nipper Mini, and Cadette. Most of the designs were in solid colors except for Nipper Maxi and Mini which offers varied design on the outer covering. It is a source of additional visibility and safety. The straps are also reflective. These helmets were CE and CPSC certified. It has also Dial-Fit and Tuned-Fit Systems that makes it easy to custom fit during adjustment on the dials and comfort pads. They are also designed as Low Fit. It covers the whole back and sides of the head. They also have a shock resistant polycarbonate shell where the EPS foam is directly attached.
The JR Classic Certified helmet of Pro-Tec promises a safe ride for your children 6-10 years of age. It has four colors to choose from. They are gloss purple, gloss white, matte black and matte blue. The Jr Classic Certified is available in 4 sizes with head circumferences 47cm-54cm.
Triple 8 has Dual Certified, Gotham, Sweatsaver, Standard, Mike Valleyly, Little Tricky and Lil 8 for its kid’s section. Head circumferences that can be catered by these helmet models for kids start from a head circumference of 48cm up to 61 cm. And sizes were classified as XS/S, S/M, and L/XL. All of them are made of ABS on the Outer Shell with EPS liner. They also include Sweatsaver Fit Pads to give you additional comfort. They are all dual certified with CPSC and ASTM. The Dual Certified and Gotham have a version with MIPS technology in it.
The Punisher Skateboards Pro Series 13-Vent Dual Safety Helmet met the ASTM f-1492 and CPSC-1203 safety standards. It has 13 vents to make the air flow smoothly. It is made from ABS Protective Shell with EPS Foam Liner. There are also three removable pads in case you need a custom fit for your helmet and the Nylon straps of it are heavy duty. The buckle is quick release for fast adjustment and easily strap on your chin. The smallest sizes start from 53cm. So it will comfortably fit on your teenage children. Available colors are also bright which will make your children very visible as they ride.
The Razor V-17 Multi-Sport Helmet is an inexpensive child helmet with a good quality and classic design. There are 17 vents that ample air flows to keep the head cool all the time. Razor has a side release to buckle the straps and adjust it. It provides security and protection. It has additional sizing padding set to get a perfect fit and ultimate comfort. This helmet is recommended for 8-14 years old. This helmet will fit into a head circumference of 21.5 in – 23 in. It complies with CPSC safety standards. And amazingly, it is available in 14 neon colors and some designs are really nice.
Helmets for Large Heads
There is a standard size for the measuring the head circumferences. Yet, not all of the heads measurements can be found at the standard sizes. Some people are really big. And we expect them to have big features including their head. Hopefully, some brands do not follow the standards. They also have the own sizing chart. Here are some brands that made some allowances on the large sizes to cater people with large heads.
The XXL size of Pro-tec measures about 62cm – 64 cm. Rest assured that any of the adult helmets from Pro-tec with the size XXL is big enough for you.
The largest size offered by Bern fits heads up to 25 inches or 63.5 cm. They are the skateboard style helmet Macon, Watts, and Brighton.
The skateboard style helmet of Nutcase that is L/XL is advertised as up to 64 cm. But it was proven that this helmet fits to some heads that are larger than advertised. They were confirmed by shops which customize things for large individuals.
Above are the top 5 best skateboard helmet suitable to all and the best in the market. I firmly believe that the clear winner is the Pro-tec Classic. One of the main reasons behind this conclusion is that Pro-tec is an incredible brand which has all the features which you can expect from a reliable helmet. It is lightweight, available in multiple colors, comes with extra safety and reasonably priced. I won’t say that the other helmets are not a good choice because they are equally good. It is just that the Pro-tec is slightly better than the rest. Also, I would like to add a more critical suggestion. It is to have other longboards gears and skateboard pads because they are essential for ensuring optimum safety.
Wearing helmets while doing any adventure sport or physical activity decreases the chances of being injured or getting any harm. To be safe while doing your favorite sport, don’t forget to wear a helmet. Be safe and adventurous at the same time. And if there is any detail, you think I missed out or any suggestions or comments, please put it below.
Stay safe! Wear a helmet!