Skateboarding is an exhilarating sport that is played on concrete and hard surfaces. On surfaces like these, a fall can get you seriously injured. Like any activity on wheels, helmet is considered the most important protective gear that protects your skull in case you hit your head. Many people consider it a waste of money to get a helmet in the first place. However, once you hit your head on concrete, you will be glad to have spent your money on getting a good quality helmet.
In this article, we are going to help you get the best skateboard helmet for yourself and enjoy a safe ride. Here are top brands of quality helmets that you might like to purchase.
Top 5 Best Skateboard Helmet on Amazon
- Critical Cycles Classic Commuter Bike/Skate/Multi Sport CM-1 Helmet
- Pro-Tec Classic Certified Skate Helmet
- Triple Eight Helmet with Sweatsaver Liner, Black Rubber/Red, Medium
- Fly bar Dual Certified CPSC Multi Sport Kids
- Kamugo Kids Youth Adjustable Sports Protective Gear
The importance of skateboard helmets
Wearing protective gear is imperative while riding your skateboard. The least protection that should be mandatory is wearing your helmet so that your skull remains safe from any fatal injury if you hit the road, literally. In fact, most skate parks have made it mandatory to enter with protective gear on. No matter what level of expertise you have in skateboarding, you should wear helmet. You can find vast variety of helmets in the market featuring function and style.
For best protection, make sure that you get the right size of helmet for your head. For that, proper measurement of your head is important. Regardless of the brand you want to buy, well-fitting skateboard helmets should come with protective padding which should not shift around while riding. The helmet should be replaced once it becomes damaged.
Measuring your Head for a Skateboard Helmet
For best protection, it is imperative to wear proper fitting helmet. For that, size of your head will determine the size of helmet you should get. Different brand may offer different helmet sizes but once you have proper measurement of your head, choosing the right helmet for your head will be easy through each brand’s size chart. It becomes more important if you are ordering for your helmet online.
Following steps will ensure getting proper measurements of your head.
- Wrap a soft tape around your forehead. It should be set just over your ears and eyebrows as your helmet will set low around your forehead. Measure level should be kept from front to back of your head. It should not be wrapped too tight or too loose. For US and UK sizing, use inches and if you are getting a helmet from anywhere in Europe, then use centimetres.
- You can use a string to measure as well, if you do not have a tape. Once you got the circumference measured using it, you can mark it and measure it using a scale.
- If you cannot measure your head at all, you can get your head size using a hat that is your perfect fit.
Top 5 Best Skateboard Helmet
Critical Cycles Classic Commuter Helmet is tested and approved product by CPSC safety standard and is available in classic skate design helmet with 11 vents. This design ensures keeping your head cool and comfortable. It comes with two interchangeable pads so that you can fit them as per your size. EPS foam is encased in fully formed ABS ensures safety from the impact. You can use Critical Cycles helmet for skateboarding, bike rides, skating and scooter rides. They are available in various attractive matte colours that will complement your personality as well as your ride.
Here are some of the features that Critical Cycles Classic helmet has to offer.
Cool Down: It features 10 expertly placed vents on it that regulates the temperature rise inside the helmet by keeping it properly ventilated.
Size Up: It comes with three new and improved size options to facilitate you with adjustments according to your size. It is provided with two sets of interchangeable pads as well to give you a perfect fit.
Stay Dry: Its state-of-the-art dewcollecting interior padding technology absorbs sweat and takes care of grime and odour at the same time. You can enjoy dry and free of irritation ride.
Sleek Matte: To cater to your aesthetic sense in best way possible, we are offering six beautiful shades of colours. They are going to make your riding experience even cooler.
Protection: CM1 has been launched in the market after going through rigorous safety tests and are approved. So you can rest assure of durable protection.
- It is well made and sturdy.
- It comes with interchangeable pads to make it perfect fit for your head.
- With 10 well placed vents, it regulates the airflow and keep the interiors cool.
- Its size can be a problem when it comes to perfect fit.
Looking for top quality helmet for best protection? Pro-Tec Classic Skate helmet is just the thing for you. Made of ABS shell and lined with EPS foam liner, this helmet provides you durable protection against hard and high impact slams. Its plush lining is super absorbent and prevents sweat to drip down your neck. You can stay dry and enjoy your rides without any irritating feeling.
It features 11 large vents that improve airflow to keep your head cool in the heat of action. A certified protective gear passed all the tests and has satisfied customers for the last 40 years. It comes in various sizes that includes X-small size for head circumference of 20.5 – 21.3 inches (52-54 cm) and also features an adjustable chinstrap for perfect fit. It comes with one-year warranty.
- It is lightweight but sturdy and durable.
- It comes with large vents to keep your head cool and focused.
- It comes in various sizes that include X-small size as well.
- You can have problem regarding the right size.
This multi-impact designed helmet is available for you to adorn as a protective gear for skateboarding, roller derby and scooter etc. Our signature Sweatsaver liner helps in removing the smells and the dripping of sweat and let you enjoy sweat free focus and pleasant rides. Liner with moisture-wicking layers comes in 360° wrap around design, it makes sure that you do not experience any sweat drippage at all and keep your undivided focus on your rides. Our Sweatsaver liner is standard to all our rubberized helmets and pro helmets. They are available in range from XS to XL.
It comes with vents at top as well to regulate airflow through to keep your head cool. It comes with adjustable straps to keep the helmet in place with classic skate side cut helmet design. So if you are looking for functionality with comfort, order your Triple Eight Helmet right away.
- It comes with multi-impact design to give you extra protecting against head injury.
- Its 360° wrap head designed Sweatsaver Liner take care of drippage and smell of sweat for good.
- It showcase Triple Eight customized logo Rivets.
- It does not meet CPSC, ASTM or NZ certifications.
All helmets under Flybar Duel brand comes with CPSC and ASTM certifications after going repeated tests to assess its durability and passed with flying colours. They can be used for bicycling, longboarding, roller and in-line skating apart from aggressive/trick skateboarding. It features strong ABS outer shell and EPS Foam inner lining makes them fully equipped protective gear for your head. EPS Foam provides the comfort of sweat free rides.
It comes with 12 vents to keep your head cool by regulating the airflow. It comes in 3 basic sizes – S/M (53-55cm/20.8-21.6in); M/L (55-58cm/21.6-22.8in); L/XL (58-61cm/22.8-24in). Taking proper measurements of your head for perfectly fit helmet is important. It also comes with an adjustable spin dial on the back of the helmet to offer you perfect immovable fitting of helmet.
- It is CPSC, ASTM certified protective headgear.
- Its EPS foam provides perfect defence against sweat drippage and odour.
- It features adjustable spin dial for perfect fitting.
- Size may pose a problem and does not come with interchangeable pads to adjust the size difference.
Kamugo Kids Youth Protective gear is designed for 3 to 10 years olds and comes as seven pieces-set to provide all round protection to the young skateboarders. They are built to be durable and sturdy and tough material is used in their manufacturing to ensuring these qualities. They come with breathable liner to stand external pressure as well.
Using state-of-the-art PE Cold-resistant thickens materials; they are lightweight as well as super absorbent and breathable. These gears are best for inline skateboarding, riding bikes, scooters etc. and extreme sports of sort. They come in four attractive colours to let the kids enjoy the games as well as their cool looks.
- It comes with strong but comfortable helmet.
- They are designed especially to ensure perfect protection of the kids.
- They are perfect for various sports and provide perfect protection.
- Sizes may pose problem for different ages of kids.
Protective gears are extremely important for extreme sports like skateboarding. Whether you are a kid or an adult, amateur or pro; does not make a difference as when you fall, you will break same amount of bones and get seriously hurt. Therefore, it is imperative to make sure that you get quality protective gear in general and a sturdy helmet in particular. Accidents happen without warning and can be fatal. There are various brands available in the market and by spending a few extra bucks, if you get a good quality protection for your life, then I think they are worth spending for; don’t you?