Trucks are T-shaped metal components of a skateboard that are attached on the underside of the deck, house the wheels and bearings of the skateboard, and securely attach them. They are very important part of the skateboard and their quality affects the performance of your ride greatly. They are made up of many parts, which include axles, hangers, kingpins and bushings.
Choosing the best skateboard trucks and your own style of skateboarding is imperative if you want to enjoy the best ride. For that, there is a big variety of trucks available in the market belonging to various brands and you can choose the one that fulfils your criteria of perfect trucks.
Top 5 Best Skateboard Trucks on Amazon
- INDEPENDENT Skateboard Trucks 129mm Silver Raw
- SCSK8 LONGBOARD Skateboard TRUCKS COMBO
- Skateboard TRUCKS COMBO set w/ 71mm
- 5″ Turbo Speed Trucks Set w/ Screws
- Quest Boards 5.25″ Matte Silver
How to Choose the Right Skateboard Trucks
Skateboard trucks come in various types and sizes and they affect the stability and dexterity of tricks you can perform. Choosing the right kind of trucks for your skateboard is imperative as this will enable you to avoid wheel bite, which is a result of wheels rubbing against your board and hinders your turn or trick. They come with the facility to adjust so that you can enjoy tighter turns or tricks through your board. For easy turning, you can choose softer bushings and for still turns, hard bushings can be used. The adjustment depends on the style of skateboarding you are into.
Features of Skateboard Trucks
Axle: It is the long pin that goes through hanger and is attached to the wheels from both sides.
Hanger: Hanger is the triangular metal piece that is the largest part of the truck and house the axle that runs through it.
Kingpin: Kingpin is the big bolts that is housed inside the bushings and keep all the parts of the truck glued together. Latest trend in kingpins is hollow kingpins as they are lighter but durable.
Bushings: Bushings are soft urethane rings wrapped around the kingpin to assist the skateboard to pivot and turn in smooth manner.
Choosing the Right Skateboard Trucks Size
Size of the truck is determined by the width of axle or width of the hanger. They determine the distance between the adjacent wheels. The width also affects the performance of your skateboard. Various riding styles call for different truck size. Most commonly, the width of the trucks’ axle is same as that of the deck and this kind of setup provides most stability. Following axle widths are available with respective sizes of the decks.
- 6″-7.25″ truck axle- 6.5″ to 7.25″ skateboard decks
- 7.5″ truck axle – 7.25 to 7.5″ skateboard decks
- 7.75″ truck axle – 7.5″ to 8″skateboard decks
- 8.0″ truck axle – 8″ to 8.5″ skateboard decks
- 8.5″ truck axle – 8.5″ to 9″ skateboard decks
- 9.0″ truck axle – 9″ to 10″ skateboard decks
- 10.0″ truck axle – 10″ wide and above skateboard decks
For best riding experience, use the axle size that can assist you according to your style of riding.
Choosing a Skateboard Truck Profile
Truck profile is the distance between the bottom surface of the skate deck and the hanger. Most commonly, mid-sized trucks work best for most skateboarders. All said, they could be altered with high or low trucks depending on the style of skateboarding you enjoy.
Low: Low trucks are designed to be compatible with small wheels and provides extra stability for specific tricks and moves like flip tricks. 50-53mm size wheels for low trucks are recommended combination.
Mid: Mid-level trucks are best for park or street skateboarding. 53-56mm sized wheels best work with midsized trucks.
High: Trucks with high profile are best for large wheels and they assist with carving and cruising streets. They also work best with longboards and cruiser. 56mm+ sized wheels are best with high trucks.
Independent Skateboard Trucks are compatible with all kinds of skateboarding and is high performing, durable truck. Made with 365 T6 Aluminium hanger and baseplate with solid Chromoly steel axle, grade 8 kingpins, and Supercush cushions with cylinder bottom are best quality trucks to provide you with best riding experience. With Independent Trucks, you can enjoy better stability and turning dexterity, more grind clearance. You will avoid hang-up yoke as well for grind tricks and it will lessen wheel bite as well. They are built to endure and last longer than any other trucks available in the market. It is highly recommended that wheel size for this 55mm profile should be 56mm and under. Ideal deck size is 7.4″ – 8″.
- They are strong and sturdy.
- They are durable and will last longer than ordinary ones available.
- They provide high level of stability and turning dexterity.
- Adjustment of the wheels can pose a problem in the start.
Providing an inexpensive yet quality solution, SCSK8 Longboard Skateboard Trucks Combo Set is the perfect thing to get for high quality and exhilarating skateboarding experience. It comes with following features:
- 70x50mm wheels with 80A durometer
- Measurements of Truck with 7″ hanger and 9.75″ axle
- SCSK8 ABEC9 bearings
- Heavy-duty and sturdy 1.25″ hardware
- Wheels available in various colours
- It features best quality for the given price.
- It is effective for everyone ranging from the beginners to the casual users.
- It comes as a complete set with trucks, wheels, bearing and needed hardware to install them.
- Bearings can be problematic and you may have to change them.
This set of Truck Combo comes with:
- Model: 071100
- Wheels: (4x) Q-Ball 71x 51mm Wheels, 78A Hardness
- Trucks: (2x) Polished/ Black 175mm HD7 Reverse Kingpin Heavy Duty Trucks, 175mm Hanger: 9.675″ axle to axle, Constructed with Aluminium Alloy, Grade 8 Kingpin, 90A PU Bushing: HD7 Reverse Kingpin trucks which provides more stability and balance during your rides and tricks.
- Bearings: (8x) Ritalin Abec 5 Chrome Bearings come as already lubricated with synthetic oil.
- Hardware: (8x) It comes with Heavy Duty 1.5″ Hardware. Bolts and Nuts come with black coating.
- Risers: (2x) Prevent wheel bite by increasing the distance between the wheels and the deck with our Black ¼” Riser Pads. It also reduces pressure on your board by inhibiting the trucks from being in direct contact with the deck.
These are well made trucks set that will provide an excellent riding experience with quality of the product that will last long.
- They provide you with smooth ride.
- They are very strong and made up of high quality material.
- They provide excellent ride at high speed.
- The trucks a little bit stiff.
Turbo Speed Trucks are the most durable trucks available and comes with strong metal alloy finish that makes it an ideal choice for skateboarding enthusiasts. It comes with a 5′ hanger with 7.63″ axle length. It is ideal for the decks measuring 7.5″, 7.63″ and 7.75″. This set features Mid-level profile trucks and a set of 1″ Phillips Screws to attach the item to your skateboard. You will not find manual along with the set but it is already simple installing procedure as it is.
- It is made up of metal alloy, making it very durable and strong.
- It comes with top quality Phillips Screws to keep your trucks secure to the deck.
- It features a set of two mid-level trucks.
- Even though, bushings are of good quality, they may make you feel a little bit of wheel bite while riding.
They are top quality, almost perfect kind of skateboard trucks. Quest Boards Matte Silver Skateboard Trucks are Double barrel that increases the dexterity and numbers of tricks you can perform with your skateboard. It is an inexpensive, light weight truck manufactured using high quality materials. The main feature of this truck is that they can be adjusted from soft stage to very hard and you will find this unique feature only in these pair of trucks.
It displays angled kingpin, which is locked in place instead of being attached loosely in the base of the truck.
- It comes in upgraded quality.
- It comes with double barrel Bushings that increases the dexterity of your tricks.
- You can adjust the trucks from softer to harder according to the type of skateboarding you enjoy the most.
- It can produce squeaky noise which of times becomes quite annoying.
- It needs occasional tightening mechanism.
Skateboard trucks being important part of the whole skateboarding frame, needs due attention from you whenever you go and purchase them from the market. They are a vital component and if you do not give them due importance, you may lose quality of the ride along with it. Therefore, get the best available or suggested trucks that can withstand the concrete surfaces and conditions. Make sure you get the measurements for the trucks that suit your style of riding and have the right profile to keep clear of the floor and the deck to avoid wheel biting.