"I get commissions for purchases made through links in this post."
Since you are a newbie to skateboarding, you keep looking for the best skateboard beginners should know. You have landed on the right page! For starters we highly recommend learning all the basics before jumping on the board. In order to prevent any unfortunate event from happening. When your eyes end at this post, you do not need to go any further. Here, we introduce you to the top 5 skateboards for beginners, along with a complete best skateboard beginners guide. Let’s check!
- The Best Beginner Skateboard 2020
- How to Choose the Best Beginner Skateboard
- Reasons Skateboarding Will Always Be the Best
- What To Look For When Purchasing A Skateboard?
- What is a Good Size Skateboard for a Beginner?
- What Size Skateboard Should a 12, 13-year Old Get?
- Best Skateboard for 7/8/9-Year Old Beginner
- Best Cruiser Skateboard for Beginners
- Best Skateboard to Learn On
- Is it Hard to Learn Skateboarding?
The Best Beginner Skateboard 2020
MINORITY 32inch Maple Skateboard
Minority Maple Skateboard is an aesthetically engineered, quality starter skateboard. It is solid to the core. MINORITY made with 7-ply hard rock maple cold pressed into 32×8-inch deck. It is built to endure weight up to 220 lbs. Its mediate concave design makes it perfect for performing tricks with ease and dexterity. Its 5-inch long trucks made with genuine aluminum alloy makes it an epitome of strength and endurance. Its carbon steel kingpin and 78A high rebound PU bushing adds to its strength. ABEC-9 precision bearings are manufactured using chrome steel with 52mm 102A PU wheels making the Minority Maple Skateboard a speedster. These designs will help skaters achieve the speed they desire and bring them the sensation of the wind when speeding through everything.
Its maneuverability test on streets, ramps, and pools produced positive results so being a newbie, you can rest assured of a smooth ride. Coming in various colorful designs, it is a feast for your eyes as well.
- Sturdy and durable.
- Smooth ride.
- Excellent balance.
- The deck is not very flexible.
POSITIV Team Complete Skateboards
(Best for Adults)
The trendy looking POSITIV Team Complete Skateboards is part of Digital Series released by POSITIVE—manufacturers of superior quality skateboards. It is built by combining multiple piles of wood using waterproof glue make it flexible and easy to control. Therefore, if you are a beginner and want to roll in style as well, POSITIV Team Complete Skateboard is your thing.
It comes in three groups—Rodney Jones, Andy Macdonald, and Carlos De Andrade. The use of waterproof glue protects it against moisture, thus making the board free from molds while its bottom is coated with an SST slide treatment that provides extra mile to the length of your slides. It comes with POSITIVE trucks and Mini Logo bearings which give it a signature style of POSITIV Team.
- It highlights a sturdy and durable body.
- Its wheels provide a smooth ride.
- Its robust body provides everything a person is looking for including looks and quality.
- It is accessible to Ollie using this board.
- Deck and Trucks are heavy.
The Quest Super Cruiser Longboard Skateboard
(Best for Cruiser)
The Quest Super Cruiser Longboard Skateboard provides perfect size, 44” for the novice skaters. Its multi-ply Hardwood Maple and artisan bamboo deck are artistically designed to fulfill your aesthetic needs as well. You will not get such detailed design in such price anywhere else.
It comes with genuine ABEC 7 speed bearings, 7 Ply Super-Flex Bamboo and Hardwood Maple Deck, 7-inch aluminum Trucks. It showcases the right components with optimum performance level. Using latest technology, our product features the latest innovation in skateboard manufacturing with best parts used for high-end performance on the streets.
- It offers a smooth ride due to its large wheels.
- Its flex and stiffness are in perfect balance to be responsive.
- It offers excellent stability, especially to a new rider.
- It offers good turn radius
- Take time to get used to it, especially for beginner.
Penny Australia Classic Complete Skateboard
(Best Penny Board)
A 100% genuine Penny board. It is a complete skateboard featuring classic design. Its design reference comes from 1970s boards and it still keeps the good old style from the 70s. It replicates the retro era skateboard giving people nostalgia about the old times. Its small size makes it an ideal cruiser providing you with ease of using it anywhere. Whether commuting to your school or surfing along with friends, Penny Complete Skateboard provides a smooth ride. It is lightweight and easy to carry around as well. It can easily bear heavy weight and will not give in. You can easily master your skateboarding skills and become a pro using genuine Penny Australia Classic Complete Skateboard.
- It offers a smooth ride.
- It is lightweight and easy to carry around.
- It comes in beautiful colors that cater to your aesthetic sense.
- It is very sturdy and durable and can bear heavy weight with ease.
- It’s only built for tricks that involve sliding.
Powell Golden Dragon Flying Dragon Complete Skateboard
(Best for Teenager)
It’s a beautifully designed affordable skateboard that provides an optimum ride for both amateurs and pro riders. Its high-rebound, hand-cast polyurethane wheels are built to deliver the best roll and grip during an action. Its 7.625 inches wide and 31.625 inches long top board offers ample grip and stable ride for the beginners who are still learning to stand while riding without any fear of slipping off the board. Its colorful screen-printed bottom lets you ride in style. It sure lives up to its name, the dragon reaching the highest expectations.
Its All Powell-Peralta Ligament decks feature a wider and more robust polymeric strap. The ligament strap is so powerful that in case your board breaks, the ligament strap will hold your deck together to allow you to ride out of it. Ligament decks are same in weight as a 7-ply maple deck but provide more pop and stiffness that lasts longer than ordinary boards.
- Smooth ride with the ability of controllable gliding.
- Offers excellent quality at a reduced price.
- It is sturdy and durable.
- Wheels are smooth and roll nicely without any stalling.
- Trucks bushings are soft making the whole board lean quite easily.
How to Choose the Best Beginner Skateboard
Choose the Deck
Without a doubt, the deck is the most important component of the skateboard. They provide full support on your body, balance and grip for a smooth ride. For beginners, plastic skateboards are deemed best to assist you in your learning process. But as your learning enhances with time, slimmer boards with better surface grip are more convenient and fun to use.
The average width of decks available in skateboards is eight inches, however; there are many different varieties available as well.A wider deck will provide you more balance to control the skateboard.A slim deck will let you do skills and tricks with ease. Decks come in a variety of materials that include wood, fiberglass or carbon. Considering the price, plastic decks come cheaper, but if we will consider quality then other options though more expensive will prove worthwhile.
Size of the Deck
Unlike with the popular belief, the width of the deck is considered more important than the length of the deck. It varies between the ranges of 7.5” to 8.25”. Its ideal width depends on your height, shoe size, skating style and personal liking.
Usually, four sizes are available in the market.
- Full Size: Deck 7.5” or higher: Best for all skaters above 13 years of age with height taller than 5’3” and a shoe size of 9 and above.
- Mid-Size: Deck 7.3”: For 9 to 12 years old, between 4’5” and 5’2” tall with shoe size between 7 and 8.
- Mini Size: Deck 7.0”: For 6 to 8 years old, between 3’5”, 4’4” tall, and with a shoe size of 4-6.
- Micro Size: Deck 6.5” to 6.75”: 5 years old or younger, under 3’4” tall with a shoe size of 3 or smaller.
Reasons Skateboarding Will Always Be the Best
- There’s No Age Limit: Unlike football and cricket, skateboarding has no age limitations. People tend to regard skateboarding as a teen sport. Even the oldies can step up on the skateboard and perform thrilling drills to have some fun activity in their routine. The biggest examples are Lance Mountain and Chris Millers who are showing their skateboard talent and burning passion even in their 40s and 50s, their action aspire thousands of new skaters to join in.
- It Teaches You Valuable Life Lessons: Skateboarding might be a game but it teaches the biggest lessons of life. It helps kids to accept others being better than them and encourages them to put more effort to progress and be the best. When they ride in the park with people who are expert and know impressive drills, they come to learn that practice and efforts make a man perfect. Skateboarding also teaches kids to control and focus.
- The Conversation: This game gives you a lot of stuff to talk about with your friends and family relatives who skate as well. In fact, when you will get old, you will love to contribute to the pro conversations about skateboarding styles and maneuvers. It’s all about the ride and talks!
- Skating Almost Always Leads to Other Creative Pursuits: Many musicians, painters and designers have explored their potentials through skateboarding. When you skate, your inner talents come out in many ways. Painters paint their decks with artistic sceneries and musicians sing while they are deeply involved in cruising through the smooth roads. People with graphic designing and photography passion bring out their skills by taking an incredible picture while skateboarding and edit them beautifully. Skateboarding no doubt polishes your skills!
- Styles Unique: In sports like football, cricket and swimming, you have to follow certain rules and adopt a particular style in order to perform well. But that’s not the case with skateboarding. This sport allows skaters to enjoy their unique style without any restrictions. From drills to cruising and rail tricks, you can do whatever you like in your very own created style. Everyone skates in their own style according to their convenience. The only limitation is your imagination!
What To Look For When Purchasing A Skateboard?
It is good to have a skateboard. But how to know if the skateboard you’re having is the best for you? Or, are you likely to shop a skateboard as a gift for your son on his next birthday?
I am glad you are here.
So let’s see what interesting skateboards are waiting for you!
The main thing we need to pour our heart into is choosing the size for the deck because the size of the deck is crucial for the skater!
Deck sizes are available from a minimum of 7.5 to up to 10 inches. You may relate to your shoe size, but in real life, it’s personal preference. For example, you don’t need to go for a 10-inch deck if you wear size 10 shoes. What important is: ride what you prefer. You could have size 6 shoes and skate an 8-inch board.
Now, a skinnier board will flip faster and vice versa giving the skater more opportunity to do a quick cool trick. It’s easier to land on a broader deck. So, if you have tried out different boards, you’d be able to figure out what size you like the best. Most of the time, once you find a width you want, you will stick with that for long.
Board shapes can be quite diverse with each one serving an important purpose. Some come with a nice big nose that makes it easier to do nose slide tricks or reverts.
Another essential element that determines a functional board is its concave. That can make the board flip faster. Whereas, a flatter concave gives you better maneuverability helping the skater unlock their full potential!
Consider grip tape seriously if you don’t want to slide off your board while doing tricks. We usually go for the grippiest and stickiest grip tape the market has.
We have a diverse stock of wheels so feel free to take your time! Don’t worry we are here to help you pick the most suitable set of wheels.
A set of 52mm wheels seems big enough for you to take over most terrain. Otherwise, most complete boards come with 52mm to 54mm wheels. Those are common because you can put them on the board without using a riser pad.
If the wheels are bigger than your board, it will rub the underside of the board, causing wheel bite.
Other things about the wheels are the width and hardness. The softer the wheels are, the less they can slide but are very suitable for cruising. If you tend to do revert tricks, pick the hardest wheel is safer.
The most important thing on the trucks is that you want them to fit the width of your board; you don’t want them to be sticking further to the sides.
The position of the truck can depend on your personal preference, you should choose where to put your truck for maximum synchronization with your movement to improve your overall control.
Different trucks have different weights to handle different rides so knowing what kind of truck will give the best outcome is essential.
These compartments will attach your trucks to the board. In practice, it’s about bolts and nuts.
The mere differences are colors and heads. For the heads, it can be either a Phillips head or an Allen key.
Bearings enable the wheels to spin well depending on the quality of products you buy. There are industry-standard bearings that allow you to ride fast and last.
But if you are skating a sport that requires a lot of speed, it will be a lot helpful if you have a good set of bearings.
What is a Good Size Skateboard for a Beginner?
Notably, different widths will fit skaters of different heights.
- Micro decks: width: 6.5″ – 6.75”, length: 27.2” – 27.6”. Best for young skaters from 5 years old.
- Mini decks: width: 7.0″, length: 28”. These boards are suitable for junior riders.
- Mid-size decks: width: 7.3”, length: 29”. Teenagers prefer this size.
- Full-size decks: anything larger than 7.5″. Adult skaters and those who are ready for the ramps, curbs, and pools.
So, consider your age, body size, and skating preference to pick the right board.
What Size Skateboard Should a 12, 13-year Old Get?
Teenagers from 12 to 13 can be avid skaters with excellent skills.
Those youngsters commonly wear size 7-8 shoes with which pair perfectly mid-sized decks. For a bit grown kids, they can pick a full-size deck to advance their tricks, verts, and cruising.
Best Skateboard for 7/8/9-Year Old Beginner
The skateboarding industry knows juniors are the most vibrant little customers. For that reason, there is a host of skateboards for 7/8/9-year old fresh skaters.
Magneto Mini Cruiser Skateboard
(Best Mini Cruiser)
With the short deck and compact footprint, this board is a head-turner made for cruising around suitable for youngsters.
This skateboard from Magneto is an excellent introduction to young skaters with everything crafted for versatility and fun. It comes with a double kicktail that facilitates the traditional skating style.
Using this board to get from A to B, your child will have enough confidence in his later skating period.
- High-quality maple deck
- Super portable
- Short-lasting bearings
Flybar Skate Cruiser Boards
(Best for Youth)
This cruise board promises tons of fun on the deck 7 Ply Canadian Maple and board shape that can provide excellent flexibility.
Not only durable and lightweight, but the skateboard can also ride smoothly with the support from the ABEC 9 chrome bearings and adding 6mm riser pads for less wheel bite.
Coming with the Hawaiian-type vibe, any 8-year old kid won’t be able to resist such a present.
- Solid deck
- Penny board
- Not suitable for tricks
Best Cruiser Skateboard for Beginners
Playshion Complete 22 Inch Mini Cruiser Skateboard
(Best for Kids)
The Playshion cruiser is an easy-to-control board that comes in a retro design. It’s a perfect intro-skateboard with the deck made from fiberglass and polypropylene that is light and flexible.
Adding to how it fits beginners is the aluminum trucks that solidly attaching PU wheels ABEC 5 bearings and soft bushing for incredible cruising.
With this board to begin with cruising, starters will get the hang of skateboarding soon before they can jump to more challenging rides. While it comes as a complete board, there are no worries about hassle assembly.
- Durable deck
- Available with a tool
- Easy to carry
- Large wheels
- Stock wheels lack absorption
RIMABLE Complete 22 Inches Skateboard
(Best for Kids)
If you need a budget cruiser that has excellent flexibility and maneuverability, it should be this RIMABLE 22-inch skateboard.
Despite the plastic deck that doesn’t feel very strong, the high-end trucks and durable polyurethane wheels make up to the price, making it a worthwhile skateboard.
RIMABLE knows how to make their products last by using 100% fresh material adding to the rigidity of the entire board.
- Attractive pattern print
- Not too expensive
- Flexible under weigh
- Hard to control when cruising steep hills
Best Skateboard to Learn On
POSITIV Team Complete Skateboards
(Best for Adults)
You need an excellent grip tape to hold on to you board safely. This POSITIV complete skateboard provides an extreme gripping surface that guarantees to glue your shoes to the board.
It yet comes in a double kicktail and nose design with a reasonable concave giving your feet the reliability they need for leaning. 54mm wheels are just perfect for getting you to the ramps and pools to show off.
Not to mention the board is a product from an avid skating team that knows better than any of us about this sport. That’s why they understand and integrate everything it needs for the best skateboard to lean on. Riding this amazing skateboard, you’ll reach the next level any time soon.
- Sturdy and durable body
- Made for tricks
- Very sticky grip tape
- Simple but professional
- A bit bulky
Is it Hard to Learn Skateboarding?
Yes and No. Sliding on the board and feeling the wind surging through your hair is really simple. But earning skateboarding may be too difficult for those who can hardly find their balance on a moving surface. It’s also the best sport for people who like taking some action and risk.
Learning how to keep your balance is the key to learning skateboarding.
So, what is the best skateboard beginners should know? It is MINORITY 32-inch Maple Skateboard. With sturdy and durable construction, this is an ideal skateboard for beginners who want smooth rides and excellent balance. Other skateboards on the list are also well-worth seeing. Each of them comes with some unique features to help you get familiar and master skateboarding techniques!
- best skateboard for beginners adults
- adult skateboard
- skateboard beginners