Do we buy our clothes, shoes, or anything that is it that we can’t neglect and look? Yes, size. Size matters a lot in almost everything we wear, and we use. Similarly, if you are a skateboard or longboard lover, you must be aware of the fact that it is essential to make a wise choice while choosing the size of a longboard and skateboard. The critical point is that the size must make your feet comfortable to stand on. Rest of the critical points we will discuss in this article and How to heelflip with these easy to understand tips?
What Exactly We Mean By Size Of A Longboard?
Longboard size means the size of a deck which is used for a ride. Longboard size is usually measured in width and length both. So, whenever you make a plan to buy one make sure you check size both ways. The short boards vary from 29″ to 34″ and the long start from 50″ and go up. The narrowness of a board is between 6″ to 8.5″ and the width between 8.5″ to 11″. The notable point is that most of the decks’ width range between 7″ to 10″ and it is suitable for most of the riders. We are putting general guidelines in bullets to help our readers understand more easily.
- Micro Deck Longboard : width: 6.5″ – 6.75″, length: 27.2″ – 27.6″ . This size deck is great for skaters five years or younger, who are under 3’5″ tall, and who wear a size three shoe or smaller.
- Mini Deck Longboard : width: 7.0″, length: 28″. This size deck is great for skaters 6 to 8 years old who are between 3’5″ and 4’4″ tall and who wear size 4-6 shoes.
- Mid-size Deck Longboard : width: 7.3″, length: 29″. This size deck is great for skaters 9 to 12 years old who are between 4’5″ and 5’2″ tall and wear size 7-8 shoes.
- Full-size Deck Longboard : 7.5″ or larger, width: For all skaters over age 13 who are taller than 5’3″ with a shoe size of 9 and up.
See more: Skateboard Sizes
Is Length More Important Or Width?
Both. Some people differ on this, but it is necessary to look for both length and width while choosing a longboard. It is same as a shirt; you check collar size, you check length, and you check the width. Same way you have to choose the longboard deck keeping in view width and length both so that when you stand on it, your feet fit in well.
Choosing The Right Size Longboard – An Overview
The right size of a longboard helps you play your tricks and maneuvers quite easily and comfortably. The right size controls your speed, and it determines the capabilities of a board too. The following points allow you to understand the importance of longboard’s size better.
- If you want an added stability on downward sloping hills, a 46-inch deck is a perfect choice. A 40 inches deck provides the best navigation on level terrain. So, you want to ride a longboard to a college campus? This one suits you.
- Surf and surf and surf. Those techniques appeal to people so much. Opt for a 60-inch deck if you want to master surfing techniques. The wind resistance can be decreased by using a deck which is 8-9 inches wide.
- The trucks you choose must be the size of the width of the deck, and best is to select aluminum or stainless steel trucks. You can increase the acceleration of your longboard by adding 58 mm wheels to it. Whereas, for improved grip during turns 65 mm wheels are good to go.
Size and Style
Yes, you guessed it right. Which style to choose is directly dependent on the riding style. We will discuss them one by one.
Length: 28-46 inches
If all you have to do is a cruise down to Slope Street, or cruise through your campus, for such style of riding 28-46 inches longboard is perfect to provide stability and comfort you need. Cruisers are used as a mean of transportation around a town.
Length: 36 inches and longer
When you are a thrill and adventure lover, you bomb hills as fast as you can without leaving control you need a 36 + inches longboard. It provides you the power which is required for such sport, and it also keeps you safe. Downhill is not at all for beginners.
Length : 38 – 42 inches
Freeride requires a more stable board as it is a kind of a ride which includes slides and curbs and freeride is riding hills. Staying in between 38 to 42 inches make your ride more stable.
Freestyle is free of any restrictions and requirement. Choose any size, any shape that you are comfortable. It dramatically relies on your creativity.
Choosing The Right Size Of A Longboard – Tips To Consider
- Determine the kind of rider you are and what is your style. If you are a smooth ride lover and want a relaxed, comfortable ride, you shall better choose a long-sized longboard. On the other hand, if you want speed and more control then go for a slightly shorter one.
- Smaller height people usually are more comfortable with smaller length longboard, and the taller ones should look for mid-sized to larger longboard.
- Keep in mind the more critical the board, harder it would be to carry around. So, if you travel too often and your longboard is to accompany you then smaller and lighter the better.
- Midsized boards are the safest choice for starters as they provide a safe, stable and controlled ride.
You may like: Cheap Longboard
Choosing the best and right size of a longboard is a robust, challenging and at times frustrating process. But as long as you are aware of the importance of size makes it easy for you to make a choice. A notable point is everybody is different, and the size of longboard will vary from person to person. It is not only personal preference but also the riding style which will impact your choice of longboard size. Choose wisely!