Important Points to Consider Before You Start
1. Pick Up a Board According to Your Demands
- A wide variety of Longboards are available in the market, and each board is designed for a specific purpose. You can use longboarding for riding downhill, around a town or in a skate park. So, first of all, set up your mind for which purpose you need to buy a board, before hitting the board shop.
- A longboard comes in different sizes, and each size has its advantages and disadvantages. A shorter board offer better turning ability but lacks in stability. On the other side, longer boards are more stable but have a reduced turning ability. A beginner should always go out with longer boards, as it offers better stability.
2. Don’t Forget to Purchase Safety Gears
- Longboarding is an adventurous sport, but is quite risky too, as a rider needs to tackle bumps and obstacles without losing his balance. Protective gears prevent the rider from significant injuries in case he fell from the board. Some of the essential protective gears are helmet, longboarding shoes, and elbow and knee pads. So, pad up with these crucial safety gears every time, before you take a ride.
3. Are You a Goofy or Regular Rider
If you skate with your right foot forward, then you are a goofy, and if you skate with your left foot forward, then you are a regular. There are two simple methods to find out, whether you are a goofy or regular rider.
- One of the simplest methods to find out whether you ride goofy or regular is to ask someone to push you from behind without any warning. The foot you will use to catch yourself will be the same foot you want to ride with on the longboard. If you find it strong enough then stick with it otherwise shift to other foot for a better result.
- Another method to figure out is to make a slide on the plain surface without shoes. Whichever foot you will use to stand up will be the one you want to ride with on the longboard.
4. Use a Low Stance
- Using a correct stance is very important in longboarding. A beginner should always first use a low stance and then try to adopt different stances, once he starts feeling comfortable with the longboard. To take a low stance, a rider should place his feet between the trucks and angle his front foot forward about 45 degrees. The back foot should be angled at 90 degrees to the direction the longboard is traveling.
5. Keep on Practicing
- Everyone is well aware of the well-known fact that ‘practice makes a man perfect.’ So, keep on practicing for maintaining better balance. You should use your arms and knees for balancing the board.
So, now you are well aware of the longboarding sport, you might be in a hurry to take your first ride. Let’s have a look at the longboard basics, which will help you to take a safe and comfortable ride.
Essential Basics to Keep in Mind
1. Keep Practicing Moving Forward
If you are new to this sport, the first step you should take is to practice moving in the forward direction. Step up to the board and use your back foot to push yourself forward. While making a push, make sure you keep your body loose as it will help in maintaining balance.
- If you are not able to make a hard push using your back foot, then you can give the front foot a try. Using a front foot for making a push is called ‘mongo,’ and most of the riders do not prefer to do it. However, it doesn’t matter what others do or not; you should feel comfortable. So, either uses a front foot or back foot, whichever seems to be suitable for you for making a push.
- After practicing for a few days, try to make a harder push. A harder push will help you gain more speed which will keep the board going for a more extended period.
2. Practice Turning
- Once, you are comfortable in moving forward; the next step is to make a turn. Turning is not at all a difficult task as you only need to put some pressure on one side of the board and lean in the same direction. You can either use your heel or toes to make a turn. So, keep practicing for taking a sharp turn.
3. Find a Method to Slow Down the Speed
- There are certain times when you need to stop or slow down a little bit. The simplest method to apply the brakes is to drag your back foot on the ground. Pulling your foot will create a lot of friction, which will slow down your board speed. Some other popular methods for applying brakes are carving and air braking. So, select any braking method and keep practicing it to stop or slow down.
4. Practice Sliding
Once you have mastered the concepts mentioned above, then only you should look forward to performing some longboard tricks. If you want to make a slide, then you should buy some protective gears such as slide gloves. The slide gloves will help you to make a slide without hurting your hands.
- To make a slide; first of all, shift your body weight to the front, bend your knees a little bit and point your front foot in the forward direction.
- The next step is to slide the back foot off the board and bending the front knee to make contact with the ground.
If you are doing a slide for the first time, do it at a slow speed. Slowly and slowly, keep increasing the board slide rather than going for a fast slide for the first time.
The concepts mentioned above will help you to master your skills which will further help you to enjoy the extreme versions of this adventurous sport safely. Downhill riding style is one of the extreme versions of this favorite sport, and if you want to enjoy a downhill ride, then you need to be perfect in the longboard basics, and the tips mentioned above will help you to master your skills.
So now let’s have a look at some of the useful longboard tips, which will help you to get the most out of this sport without any significant risk.
Highly Reliable Tips to Follow
1. Purchase a Perfect Longboard
- There are specific factors which need to be considered before purchasing a longboard. Apart from the board size, wheels, trucks, and material are some of the critical elements which are responsible for better performance.
- A longboard with harder wheels will help the rider to make a slide without any difficulty. So, do consider all these factors before making a longboard.
2. Stay Within the Limits
- Longboarding is fun, but if you try to push a little harder, you might put yourself in serious trouble. There are several fun tricks you can perform on your longboarding without taking an additional risk.
- If you keep on taking risks, then you will get habitual to the dangerous conditions and push yourself a little harder every time, which will put your life in danger. So, stay within your limits before it’s too late to get yourself out of the dangerous situations.
3. Watch Videos to Learn New Skills
- If you are bored with the basic longboard tricks and want to learn, new cool tricks take help of the internet. You can read experienced riders blog to learn new skills and methods. Before executing any new board trick, it’s better to watch a video for better guidance.
- You can easily find the videos posted by experienced riders with step by step guide to learn new tricks.
These are some of the useful longboard tips which will help you to execute some board tricks and double your entertainment safely. So, follow all the tips mentioned above to master the longboarding concepts and improve your performance.